Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day of School

I won't lie.  Today was tough.  I think the combination of the cultural adjustments I've made - including the lack of hot showers, the challenges of learning a new school system, the unfamiliarity with the students, and the deficiency of sleep I've been having has all led me to a bit of a collapse at the end of today.  I'm also a bit overwhelmed changing responsibilities from myself to the education of 60 individuals.  I guess I forgot how difficult this job could be.  Rhythm and rest is key I think in overcoming this obstacle and setting myself on the right path.  I can be thankful for a very supportive administration to guide me through the next year.  I do request prayer in the coming days for strength, wisdom, and perseverance so that I may not only survive out the next 182 teaching days, but might thrive.

The students were excited - excited for a new building, excited to see each other, excited to be doing something new.  In a move I had never seen, the Senior class showed up with confetti, horns, sirens, and an assortment of other noise-makers in a progression as they showed up for their first day of school in celebration.  I think the mindset may not have been on school today.  In spite of this, the students I had for the most part seemed knowledgeable, skilled, and intelligent.  There are a number of students I can see applying themselves to the point of possible earning themselves AP credit by the end of the course.  The question I have on my mind is if I can teach them to that point.  Differentiated instruction takes a lot of planning and AP chemistry is no cake-walk.

Newly Remodeled High School 300 Building

No comments:

Post a Comment