Sunday, June 12, 2011

Packing

Today I've been packing and cleaning all day in preparation for my trip.  I guess you don't realize how much 'stuff' you've accumulated over time until you try to pile it all up in your living room.  It's a bit of a mess.  In other news, it is also my LAST week of teaching in Klamath Falls, a bit of a bittersweet end to chapter in my life.  I've grown fond of the students I've had over the past couple of years - a feeling that became evident while conversing with a few at the high school graduation ceremony.  I've also felt like I had finally begun to plug into certain areas of the community.  I was pretty connected with the swimming community in town as well as starting to feel welcomed with the church ministry at Klamath Christian Center.  It's really a shame I couldn't have found my niche sooner.  However, I am excited to explore the world a bit and work to expand my worldview.

This mentality is really my basis of my teaching philosophy - that is, I teach to promote the analytical mind, one that can see things from multiple perspectives and use critical thinking to understand and make sense of the world.  The idea is that the analytical mind will use discernment in all aspects of life pushing away from egocentrism and leading to cultural understanding and prevention of conflict.

Lately, my teaching philosophy is shifting as I consider my work as it pertains to making relationships and promoting Christ.  My students have taught me that they value my relationship with them, but I more often than not put up walls.  My hope is that I will learn to embrace this new idea and find ways to be a testimony of Christ's love.  I'm not quite sure how this will work yet, so please be in prayer as I continue to learn and develop.




BTW - NBA Finals round 6 tonight in Miami though I'm actually switching between that game than the Portland-Colorado MLS game.  I figured it was good cultural training to watch the game.  Still 0-0 with 10 mminutes left, but here's to hoping!  The lumberjack is warming up his chainsaw :)

EDIT: Embarrassing fact - The MLS game was a tape delayed rerun.  I could have just looked on Twitter to find out that the Timbers had lost in stoppage time. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment