Thursday, June 16, 2011

Why Honduras?

So why Honduras??  I suppose the short answer is that 'it just felt right.'  I have never been an impulsive person to commit to something on a whim.  I'd rather sit around and analyze the pros and cons, much like Ben Stiller's character from Along Came Polly (terrible movie BTW in case you're planning on seeing it).  Yet, when I came to a career trail-head earlier this year, all of the pieces of who I am just seemed to click into position.

Since high school, from my time as a swim instructor for younger kids, I have felt inspired and encouraged to pursue teaching as a career.  Part of the benefits include imparting skills and knowledge of a subject you're passionate about, seeing a student flourish and grow, and being relational with people.  In college I received my chemistry degree and later got my teaching credentials.  I entered the education sector and found that 'things' were different than what I had envisioned.  Long story short - I burned out around November this past school year when certain drama unfolded.

I guess I was considering a career change for a while after that.  It was really quite disheartening to be aiming to summit a mountain for so long but when you get to the top, it's nothing like you had imagined it in a bad way.  But this is where it gets cool.  I now have my teaching credentials with experience (they say it takes three years to really get the hang of it and five years to become great), I have a developed AP Chemistry program, I have very few possessions, I have a desire to experience new culture and expand my worldview, and I believe even the culture-shock of teaching in rural Klamath at a Christian school has helped prepare me for the environment in which I may be immersed.  Essentially, everything up to this point has helped prepare me for this trip, including finding a church support group with only 5 weeks remaining until my departure.  That said, it seems to be more than mere coincidence that a friend suggested this school to me during a late-night facebook chat session (shoutout to you Missy!).  The puzzle pieces fell into place. The door was wide open.  All I had to do was take the step.

That's not to say I still don't have my fears.  Will I be an effective instructor with the language barrier?  Will the Honduran culture enable the students to be more respectful?  Will I fit in with the organization and mission in which i'm participating?  Will I be able to be relational with students and be a testimony of Christ?  I cannot answer these questions with any amount of certainty, but I do know that God can use us wherever we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment