Friday, September 2, 2011

First Week of School: Complete

Wow. What an experience.  This whole past week has been one huge enormous blur.  As stated in my last post, I had grossly underestimated my preparedness for the roller-coaster week I was about to endure.   Dizzied by the shock of working in a new culture, I have spent the past few days feeling frustrated with students and situations, overwhelmed with the level of work, sick to my stomach, unable to sleep, and upset at myself for not being able to cope.  And yet, in spite of these things, God has put a wonderful thing into my life.  I had never before this week had students who would tell me how much they love the class, perform secret handshakes with me, feed me a Double Stuf Oreo, and reaffirm that which I'm doing in the classroom.

I think Wednesday night was the real turning point in my week.  It seems like so many blessing started trickling my way.  For instance Wednesday night I was blessed to be invited over to a friends' apartment for a delicious dinner and dessert where I was able to commune with friends and catch a breath.  More blessings - yesterday I was observed in my classroom by the Principal and told that my instruction style was spot-on.  To top it off, when I went to take a shower last night, the hot water was working again!  Last night, Suzie and my roommate Dan led a group of us teachers in worship and praise to the God Almighty and in self-reflection I came to the realization of what a blessing the Lord's faithfulness to us is.    Psalm 105 verses 5-8 read:

 5 Remember the wonders he has done,
   his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced,
6 you his servants, the descendants of Abraham,
   his chosen ones, the children of Jacob.
7 He is the LORD our God;
   his judgments are in all the earth.
 8 He remembers his covenant forever,
   the promise he made, for a thousand generations.
 I read this passage to my students this past week for devotions as required by the school, but it holds personal weight in that God will always be there for me, no matter the circumstance.  In the face of discouragement is encouragement.  In the face of hate is love.  I cannot tell you just how wonderful it has been to have a family of believers here to work right along side of and support me when I'm down.

Couldn't make a post without a picture.


This will still be a tough year and I still have much catch-up to do this weekend, but I am encouraged to see God's love and kindness displayed through my fellow coworkers and the various blessings that have occurred since I got here.  Though the roller-coaster may continue for some time, I am confident that God will be faithful and I'll make it off the ride in one piece.




1 comment: